Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Blog 1 - The experience of the use of ICT

School Name:  Corporation Primary School
Class:  Primary 2 (Class 2.5)
Subject:  Chinese as Mother Tongue


What ICT tools were used?  
The main ICT tools used were the powerpoint, Xuele edumall, Lead.com,iflashbook. 


Describe how ICT was used for teaching & learning:
     I was posted to Corporation Primary School this January. I was taken two classes in Primary Two and Primary Four to teach Chinese Language. I would like to share my experience with the use of ICT in CL class.
        My P2 CL class had 30 pupils. There was MA level pupils in my class,that mean the pupils were average in their performance.Like other CL teachers in the school, I started the lesson with the use of  web-resource"Xuele" to teach. I invited the pupils to sit on the floor and clicked on the text in "xuele" to let the pupils listen to the self-reading text.
       After playing the text twice or third , I clicked on the pictures beside the text. The picture sprang to life. All the children were attracted when the animation started about what was mentioned in the text and acted upon it.They laughed no matter how many times the animation had been played.
      When playing the animation, I sat with pupils who have special needs to attend to their needs. They were concentration and their listenning and reading skill in Chinese Language not as good as their classmates.  However, when the animation was played, they had been attract immediately. Their eyes sparkled with interest. They enjoyed the animation as much as their fellow classmates.

       I had prepare some questions by using power point to check the understanding of puplis and for them to ask me questions.
       When I make sure that the class were able to read the text and understand the meaning. I started another programme called HanShen(汉神). HanShen is a programme which teaches about the stroke order of Chinese characters. It has a writing game that let the users to write the Chinese characters on the screen.Normally, I typed a few Chinese characters that were mentioned in the text they just learned. Then, I invited pupils to write on the screen. More than half of the pupils raised their hands up and shouted, "I want! I want!"
       Their shouting stirred the interest of the special needs children. Their eyes closely followed their classmate's finger on the screen. When their classmate finished writing, they quickly put up their hands when I asked for the next characters.


Generally, how did the teachers in the school use of ICT for teaching and learning? 
        Generally, I was amused by the power of ICT in stirring the interest of pupils to learn mother tongue. From the attachment, I noticed that CL teachers in the school used ICT tools extensively.All the teachers are comfortable with the use of ICT and consider ICT is vital in teaching and learning.

4 comments:

  1. From you experience shared, it shows you could manage to use different method of ICT in your teaching. It sounds nice and it alert me have to pick up the knowledge and skill to use this kind of ICT tools as soon as possible. And it show it is very important tool to stimulate student interest to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can imagine that your students enjoy your lesson very much through interesting ICT tools used. ICT tools really help to capture student's attention. They learn happily and they absorb new knowledge better, which is really a 'meaningful learning'.

    I have always encountered a problem while teaching stroke order of Chinese character. We are only allowed to teach specific word's stroke order in Xuele so not all of the words in the text can be selected for stroke order teaching. Therefore, I'm not able to teach extra if I wanted to. With HanShen(汉神) that you mentioned in the post, I think I have a better choice of tools when I teach stroke order!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you have used ict teaching your students and let them feeling it more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i used the hanshen before, and the response from the students are good too, they will try to follow the big screen and start to write the word on air, then i will ask them to close their eyes, and re-write it again.
    It really works ! ahahaha

    ReplyDelete